Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tiny Little Hats

Once I finished setting up our Etsy storefront, I decided to rework some of our hat patterns so that they would fit little newborn heads. There are so many cute hat designs on Etsy, and I knew that our line would work really well in that community.

For the most part the process was fairly simple. It required some simple math, and a set of needles with a smaller circumference. I like working with twelve inch circulars, however, most people find them annoying, but they are useful. I also cast on loosely, which served a twofold purpose; to give the initial rows some stretch, and to make the finished piece comfortable for sensitive little noggins.

This whole process inspired me to create a few new designs as well. I am pretty pleased with what I ended up with. There was only one 'failure'. I am just not happy with the final design, so I'll save that one for a FFS OOAK giveaway in the future.

I produced nine different newborn hats, then sent them off to our photographer, Christie Adams. She did our one year and family portraits, so I knew the photos would be fantastic. I'll be using these images for our shop listings on HyenaCart and Etsy. And eventually update our promotional materials with a few.

She's started to send me back some examples of what she's captured. The photos are absolutely stunning, and they give me baby fever.


The Reese Hat.
This is probably my favorite hat.
It's a completely original design, and it works well with newborns and older kids.
We've even had a few adults order this beanie.


The Matty Hat.
This is an adaptation on a design that I saw somewhere.
We had to figure out the pattern, but the style is pretty generic.
I love the little 'ears' at the top corners.
This little guy wasn't a fan of wearing hats though, and put up a little fight.


Here he looks more comfortable.
You gotta love the newborn sleepy stage.

I can't wait to see what else she is able to photograph in the coming weeks. As she completes the images I'll be posting them here to share with all of you.

In the meantime, if you are interested in seeing more of Christie's work you can check out her blog at Christie Adams Photography. She is a gem to work with, and as you can see, very talented.

3 comments:

  1. Following back! Thanks for stopping by!
    Cute hat!
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these hats are gorgeous - so are the pics. Found and followed you via cookies and clogs, come visit me @ http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I won a matty hat from SBB blog!!! They are sooo darling. What do i do now? =)

    ReplyDelete